Saturday, July 2, 2011

My girl can swim!!

This summer I decided to enroll Katelyn in swim lessons at the Erie Rec. Center. I am SO glad I did! Something amazing happened this summer-Katelyn learned how to swim!! In past years, swim lessons were just "play time", but this summer because of an excellent teacher, Katelyn just took off like a little fish! Her swim instructor, Moriah, is just fabulous! I was so impressed with Moriah that when 2 weeks of group lessons ended, I enrolled Katelyn in private lessons with her. Katelyn had passed level 2 of the Red Cross swimming program, and is now working on level 3 in her private lessons.

Even though I realize swimming is a sport, a hobby, & a form of exercise, I also believe strongly that swimming is a life skill. I have a responsibility as a parent to make certain that my daughter can swim. Having that skill could save her life someday, heaven forbid. For me, it's just as important as teaching her about GOD, or how to read, how to ride a bike, to save money in her bank account for college, and what it means to be a loyal friend.

After trying her hand at various sports, I really feel like swimming could be a life-long sport for Katelyn. I have visions of attending her swim meets during her school years, and of course pleasant dreams about that full-ride scholarship to the university of her choice. Ha! I kid. Sort of. No, seriously, I'm just so glad she loves to swim because it's excellent exercise, and it's not a seasonal sport-she can swim to her heart's content all year long!! And when she's receiving her Olympic gold medal, well, I just won't be able to control myself. Ha! Again, I'm only kidding. Well, sort of ;)

Learning to dive~

Working on her strokes with teacher, Moriah~

Look, mom, I graduated!!

Upon graduating from level 2 lessons, Katelyn got to go down the big slide! Unlike her mother, she didn't scream bloody murder the whole way down. She surfaced with "I'm gonna do that again!" The kid has no fear.

Swim, fishy, swim~

2 comments:

Katie said...

Great job, Katelyn! Rebecca convinced Miriam to go down the slide last time we went to the pool (and it took some convincing), but then Miriam wouldn't do anything else!

Tera said...

I agree with you that learning to swim is not an option. It is necessary. Like learning to tie your shoes or learning to cook. You need to know how to swim! Katelyn is lucky to be able to have a mom who supports her and encourages her in everything she does!