My dad has missed his father all of his life. It wasn't easy for him being raised by a single mother in the 40's, 50's, & early 60's. Broken-hearted when she learned of her husband's death in France, my grandmother never recovered from the loss. Yet she somehow managed to gather the strength to get her beauty license and support 2 little kids and later a 3rd on her own.
Some years ago, my dad and his sister, my Aunt Connie, traveled to Epinol, France to visit the American Soldier Cemetery where their father lays at rest. They paid their respects to the father they never knew and shed many tears. Someday I will travel to Epinol and do the same.
We fly our flag to honor my dad, the grandfather I never knew, and all the servicemen and women who have lost their lives fighting bravely for our country.
We had a beautiful day in Colorado to celebrate Memorial Day. This is the mountain view we enjoy from our backyard.
Shelbey, Elton, & Sean joined us for a BBQ and we also celebrated Sean's 2nd birthday! Katelyn is thrilled to be with her big sister and brother. She thinks of Sean as her little brother & the two of them had a great time playing together.
Sean and Katelyn wrestling with Elton.
Happy 2nd birthday Sean-wow it's already been 2 years!!
(((HUGS)))
What a cutie!!!
Even though we celebrated Memorial Day with a fun family BBQ/birthday party, I seized the opportunity to educate Katelyn about the "real" reason we have this holiday. I want Katelyn to realize that while we have fun on these "holidays", there is greater meaning behind them. There is sacrifice. History, especially her own family history. It's more than just a day off work or school or an opportunity to "play". I want her to see the importance of flying an American flag on Memorial day, Flag Day, Veteran's Day, 4th of July, ...it's important that we never forget why we have these holidays in the first place.
Growing up, my dad flew the largest flag in the neighborhood-it covered the entirety of our front porch. It's the flag that covered my grandfather's coffin which was presented to my grandmother after his buriel. After my gradmother passed away 22 years ago, the flag was given to my dad. He flys that flag on every patriotic holiday and I know he flew it yesterday to honor his father. Dad-I just want you to know that I get it, I really do. Love you, dad~ Shell
1 comment:
The beginning of this post brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a spouse or father in war. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up never having known my father because of that loss. I can't imagine what it would be like to travel across the world to visit the grave of my father. I can't imagine the tears that would be shed of "what could have been". I can't imagine what it would like flying the flag that layed on my father's coffin. What a legacy. We too have a very long history of military service on both sides of our family and I need to take your example and share that history with my children!
Post a Comment