Saturday, May 22, 2010

Katelyn's 1st piano recital

Last September Katelyn started taking piano lessons. I took piano lessons for a couple of years before Katelyn came along, and we own a piano, so when she started asking to take lessons I was thrilled! The 'ol piano was going to see some action once again!

Katelyn loves music: singing, playing the piano or other instruments, musical theater, anything and everything related to music and performing!! I love to listen to her little voice belting out her favorite songs and I love to listen to her little fingers tapping the paino keys. Her piano teacher has been very pleased with her progress & I am amazed by how much she's learned!! Next fall, our church is starting a children's choir & Katelyn really wants to participate. I will happily encourage any musical endeavors she wishes to undertake! Piano, choir, maybe theater one day ...

On May 14th, Katelyn had her 1st piano recital. (She was the only 5-year-old to play in the recital). The song Katelyn chose was called "Shepard Count Your Sheep" and she did a beautiful job. I was so impressed by her confidence-the high school auditorium where the recital was held was filled with people, but that didn't seem to phase her at all. As she walked up the steps to the stage, she looked so small to me, but inside that little body is a heart filled with enthusiasm and spunk!!

As Katelyn played her tune, I held my breath, but she didn't miss a single note and played with tremendous grace and feeling. Her father & I both cried. The lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder & said, "That was just beautiful." I was and still am filled with total pride. I may not have any particular musical or artistic talent, but I do have my own special masterpiece, and she blesses my life every single day.

After Katelyn finished playing her song, she played the same tune as a duet with her teacher, Karen. I was amazed that Katelyn could play her song & not be confused by the notes her teacher added. That really does take a lot of concentration! After their duet, Katelyn stood up, went to the front of the stage, & took a bow!! I had no idea she was going to do that so I didn't get a picture!!! MAN!! But what a ham!!


1 comment:

Tera said...

Oh how I wish I could have been there! I bet she was perfect!