I still can't believe I have a 1st grader now and that she will be in school full-time every day next year. It will be a HUGE adjustment for me. Not Katelyn. Me. Katelyn's ready, she's excited, she feels "all grown up", she can't wait to go to her new school next year. I'm the one who's struggling. I'm the one who can't believe that the last 6 years are now just my memories. The years went by too fast. I can't get them back. I have to tell myself to look to the future-there are new memories to make, new experiences to share, new adventures...but my eyes flood with tears because I realize that a significant time period in Katelyn's upbringing is coming to a close. Next year she will be in school more than she will be home with me and I will miss her. I will have to let go. And it hurts.
A lot.
As the graduation ceremony drew to a close, Miss Susan announced that each class wanted to recognize one parent who had really made a significant difference for their school. After recognizing a parent from her own classroom, Susan said these words: "Teacher Sherry & Teacher Karen from the West-side class would like to recognize a parent who has attended every field trip, class party, volunteered and even substituted in the class when needed, who never says no-Carbon Valley Academy is going to be so lucky to have her teaching 2nd grade next year-would Shelly Rajewich please come up to the stage!!!" I was completely blown away. Tears streaming down my face. I had no idea they were going to honor me. And I am honored. Although, it feels kind of strange to be honored for doing the things I love to do. It was not a chore to go on Katelyn's field trips or help with her class parties-I WANTED to. In fact wild horses couldn't have kept me away!! But even though I did those things because I wanted to, it's nice to be appreciated. Remember the flowerpot I bid for at the school's silent auction, but didn't win? Well, Karen & Sherry had the class paint another flowerpot with every child's handprints on it and they presented it to me as a "thank-you" gift. What a keepsake, a treasure!! And it's kind of funny because after I didn't win the pot at the auction, I had offered to make a monetary donation to the school if they could make another pot. I'd said I'll buy the pot, I'll plant the flowers... "Oh, sure we could do that," Miss Karen had said. And all along they were planning to surprise me with a flowerpot at the graduation. Wow! How Katelyn kept that a secret from me I'll never know!!!
After the ceremony, we enjoyed cake and other refreshments, visited with friends, and then it was time to go home. It was a wonderful evening, one I will cherish always.
Katelyn-I am so proud of you! You are an amazing young lady: smart, kind, sensitive, loving...the list goes on. You are my greatest blessing and I have been honored to be your mommy these past 6 years. We have had so much fun growing and learning together. I look forward to the next chapter in our lives.
I love you so much sweetheart! XXOO
"When I grow up, I want to be a veterinarian and a scientist." Each child came to the microphone on stage and announced what they wanted to be when they grow up. Katelyn has not waivered on being a vet for some time, but usually she says she wants to be an artist too. Oh well, she has plenty of time to decide!! (By the time the ceremony began, Katelyn had decided she was finished wearing her cap-"it bothered her!!")
All of the graduates: only 6 of them were graduating from kindergarten.
Katelyn was very pleased that her brother Michael Jr. came to her graduation. They have a very special bond.
I have a 1st grader!!!
Katelyn-your early childhood years went by way too fast! You're such a lovely young lady now and I'm SO very proud of you!!
This is the flowerpot that Katelyn's class decorated for me. I was SO surprised and I feel so honored by their special recognition.
Me with Katelyn's teachers, Sherry and Karen.
Miss Sherry, Katelyn, and Miss Karen
Of course Anna wasn't going to miss Katelyn's graduation!! What a blessing to have you there, my friend!!
Katelyn adores her dad and her big brother!!
2 comments:
You know, as well as I do, just how quickly children grow. It seems like it will take forever and then you blink your eyes and they are in school all day. You have one blessing though, that not many parents have. You have the blessing of "no regrets". You lived everyday. You took advantage of every moment. You shared every experience. Though the time did go by fast at least you don't have the guilt of wishing you could go back and spend more time with her or do more things with her. You did everything you could. You lived these last 6 years to the fullest. What a wonderful feeling that must be!
Wow, Tera well put! Shelly, you are an amazing mother and Katelyn is so incredibly lucky! You are the mom every child wishes to have- to be so involoved and participate because she wanted to. She will look back and cherish this time as well. I know it will be hard, but you get to spend time with her at her new school and be with her on her days off! You are wonderful and I am so happy you got the recognition you deserve!
Post a Comment