Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 4-Mother's Day at Cocoa Beach, Florida




We had an amazing time at the beach! Katelyn LOVED the ocean, playing in the surf, collecting seashells, playing in the sand, and "swimming" in the water! We had a nice day to be at the beach; it was hot, but the ocean breezes made it actually nice. At one point, I asked Mike if he could get used to this way of life! I now totally understand why people love Florida & why people choose to vacation here, retire, and "snowbird" here. It's wondeful! Cocoa Beach is about an hour or so from Orlando, so just about the right distance with a kiddo.

I wonder if Floridians take the ocean for granted like we Coloradoans take the mountains for granted? I'm sure there isn't a day that goes by, that I don't think to myself how beautiful the mountains are; BUT, we probably only vacation in the mountains a couple times a year. I never go skiing(hate it actually), I've never gone white-water rafting & have NO desire to do so. Mountain climbing, backwoods camping(get real!!), or any other extreme sport you can think of that could be done in Colorado are NOT on my agenda!! I won't even agree to take Katelyn to the Royal Gorge because it's terrifying. (If you've been there you know why!) So, I wonder if you live by the ocean all the time, do you actually go to the beach all the time? I bet real life occurs in Florida too. We did decide that next year's family vacation will involve an ocean again; either San Diego or Hawaii-(depends on the economy!!)

I can't think of a better way to have spent Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Tera said...

We lived about 15 min from the beach for a year. I can probably count on one hand the times we actually went to the beach when we lived there. However, there is nothing like taking a drive to the grocery store along the coast. It is sooo beautiful. I love to sit at the beach, it is so peaceful. My dream vacation would be to have stay in a beach house for a couple weeks. I could spend hours reading/sleeping and watching my kids play there.

Tera said...

BTW - I LOVE the picture of Katelyn you took. It is sooo beautiful/so is she!