Friday, May 15, 2009

Orlando, Florida-Disney World Trip-Day 1



May 7th was the first day of our first-ever(flying somewhere) family vacation! Mike & I had not flown anywhere since our last trip to Hawaii in 2001 & this was Katelyn's first airplane trip. Needless to say we were filled with extreme excitement and of course a little apprehension as well. Everything went absolutely perfectly on day one! I was up at 5 am-(not an easy feat for me, as some of you know ;) Katelyn was up by 5:30, about 2 1/2 hours earlier than she usually gets up. We made it to the airport with plenty of time, parked the car, took the shuttle to United. I wasn't sure what to expect from the security checks, but all was fine there too-Katelyn thought it was cool that she got to take her shoes off!! We arrived at our gate with plenty of time to use the potty, buy some magazines, etc. We also got a wonderful unexpected surprise-our good buddy Jen Copeland who works part-time for United came down to our gate area to say hello. She's so wonderful, I'm truly blessed to know her and her partner Treva & their adorable daughter, Shea, who is good buddies with Katelyn.

Our plane ride to Orlando was about 4 hours-Katelyn did great, keeping busy with her coloring and her V-smile games. Much to my chagrin, we did have to visit the airplane potty-I think more to satisfy her curiosity than anything. As we were exiting the plane, the captain gave Katelyn her own set of wings(a pin for her shirt) and let her look at the cockpit-she hugged him. The stewardesses all told her what a great little traveler she was-that's our girl!!!

We arrived in Florida late afternoon(they are 2 hours ahead), got our rental car, & checked into our hotel. (Katelyn was absolutely exhausted by this time, see the above picture, man was she OUT!) We had mapquested everything beforehand at home. I love mapquest!!! (AVIS offered us a GPS tracking thing for like $18 bucks a day- Whatever!!!) We decided to eat at Red Lobster for dinner. Katelyn ordered shrimp and had some of our lobster which she loved! She's such a great little seafood eater!! It was SO cold in Red Lobster. Reminded me of back home (K.C.) It gets so unbelieveably hot in K.C. in the summer, but whenever you go inside somewhere you freeze cause the A/C is cranked so low. Of course Florida is on the warm side too, and the restaurant must have been like 60 degrees!! By the time we made it back to our hotel, we were all worn out and ready for bed! Tomorrow-Magic Kingdom!!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like a great start to your vacation! I can't wait to hear all about it. Glad you're home.

Tera said...

Man, I wish I could sleep as deeply as it looked like Katelyn was sleeping!