Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Class of 2022






Tonight we attended Katelyn's graduation from The Children's House Montessori Preschool where she has attended the past 2 years. I really just can't believe she's finished her preschool education and will start Kindergarten in the Fall. Where have the past 5 years gone?

When we arrived at the church where the graduation was being held, the power had just gone out. (A storm had just gone thru the community and must have knocked out the power.)Katelyn's teacher, Mrs. Susan Halkin, was a little beside herself to say the least. The auditorium and stage area were very dark. Except for the borrowed lit candles that were lining the front of the stage, you really couldn't see much of anything. I thought to myself how will we even see our little graduates, let alone get a picture? Plus without electricty, the mike didn't work and we couldn't hear Susan speaking. I quietly said a little prayer that if GOD was available, could he possibly help us out? Within 10 minutes the power was back on. Now you be the judge: coincidence or divine intervention. I know what I think.

The graduation ceremony was so sweet. After a few introductory remarks, the children filed in across the stage and took their seats. Next everyone was asked to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, which all of the children recited exceedingly well. Then the children sang a song and did a finger play that they had been practicing for weeks. I was so touched, and yes my eyes blurred a little. Then Miss Susan called each child to the mike and the children said what they were going to be when they grew up. Katelyn of course said she would be a pet doctor. She absolutely loves animals. I for one think she will stay true to her conviction. When I was a kid I never waivered from wanting to be a mom and a teacher. There were some other neat professions chosen too: 6 swimming teachers, 2 rock stars, an artist, a farmer(everyone cheered really loudly), 2 police officers, a school nurse, a lawyer, a kid dentist, 2 fire fighters, a dinosuar digger, a race car driver, a ballerina, and more...I was very impressed that each child very bravely stood when their name was called, walked to the mike, and spoke clearly. We're talking 4 and 5 year olds, and not one case of stage fright! Then Susan called each child once more to come up and receive their diploma and shake her hand.

After the ceremony, the school had cake and lemonade for everyone and some other goodies were provided by parents. Wow! What a celebration for our children! What a wonderful way to recognize their preschool years.

We have decided to keep Katelyn at this Montessori school for her Kindergarten year. One of the pictures I posted is of Katelyn and her good buddy Sydney. They have been
such great friends these past 2 years, and Syd will be in Kindergarten with Katelyn next year too. The first picture is of Susan and Katelyn. We will forever be grateful to the exemplary education Susan has provided for Katelyn these past 2 years. Susan has been the director/teacher of Katelyn's school for 30 years. She is absolutely amazing with these little people. During the graduation, Susan called up one young man to receive his diploma and then told us that he was actually the son of a former student she had over 25 years ago. There's no better testament to her as a teacher than that!!

Congratulations Katelyn! Mommy and daddy are SO proud of all you've accomplished these past 2 years!

1 comment:

Tera said...

First of all, I don't believe in coincidences. I truly believe that
God has a hand in all things.

I am so glad that you had such a great night. Katelyn looks so cute in her little cap and gown. Someday, you'll have to display that alongside her highschool and college ones!