I love sleeping in. Doesn't really matter what time I get up, as long as it wasn't because an alarm went off telling me I HAVE to get up! I also love being the first one up in my house. I get a few minutes of alone time before the new day gets going. This is also my favorite time to blog, have that first cup of joe, sit back, relax, listen to the birds singing. So this morning I was up at 7:30(I know most of you have clocked half a day already, but that's early for me in the summer!)Katie's still sleeping & Mike's awake but laying there contemplating actually getting up. Time to blog!
Recently Katelyn and I shared a wonderful trip to Kansas City, my home town(specifically Lenexa, KS, a suburb). Even though I've been in Denver 11 years, K.C. is still home, my roots, a lot of history, where I come from. My dad lives in the same house I grew up in from 4th grade on-over 30 years now. Not much has changed either: a new deck, a new roof, some new pillars, but everything else is about the same. My dad, who turned 65 this year, is doing great. Still working hard. Even though my dad could retire, I don't think he wants to. He likes having a place to go and people to visit with-work is his social outlet. I love spending time with my dad, I'll always be his little girl.
Katelyn and I began our journey on the 30th of May. I decided to make the drive in 2 days instead of one because I knew Katelyn would appreciate me a lot more!! We stayed in Hays, KS on the 30th. Ah, Hays, you have such memories for me! My first visit to Hays was for band camp the summer before 7th grade(I think). I played the clarinet. I went to band camp at Fort Hays State University with my friend Stephanie(we had the same last name, but weren't related). We still send a Christmas card every year! Hays was also the meeting place Mike and I chose during our whirlwind courtship when flying back and forth became too expensive. Hays is about 6 hours due East of Denver.
We arrived at dad's on Sunday the 31st, so glad to see him!! Our last visit was at Thanksgiving when he came out to Denver. Of course we arrived hungry and our tradition is to go out for BBQ-Hayward's BBQ to be exact. YUM! You may not know it, but Kansas City has awesome barbecue, some of the best in the country!! And my home town of Lenexa, KS has an annual Barbecue contest every year.
As much as we enjoy seeing grandpa Tom, I have to tell you that being with my best friend, Jennifer, and her son(my Godson), Anton, is the icing on the cake. Jen and I have been BFF for 18+ years and I cherish her more and more with every passing year. We have the best time together, the four of us. Katelyn and Anton are really more like cousins. Jen is the closest to having a sister that I'll ever come. Anton calls me Aunt Shelly and Katelyn calls her Aunt Jennifer. They are our family.
Kansas City has great things to do with kids, many at little or no cost. So on our first day together(day 3 of our trip), Monday June 1st, we went to Kaleidoscope at Crown Center. Kaleidoscope is an arts and crafts extravaganza put on by Hallmark(a Kansas City-based company, did you know that?) And it's FREE! The kids get about 45 minutes to make all kinds of crafts from painting, to making a puzzle, to working with melted-down crayons. It's a lot of fun! We also ate at the Crayola Cafe and visited Legoland(also free). The kids had a great time!
On day 4 of our vacation, June 2nd, we did what every red-blooded American kid dreams of doing!! That's right, we went to Chuck E. Cheese. It was raining cats and dogs that day, so we needed an indoor activity. (I have to say aside from this one rainy day, the weather in K.C. was perfect the week we were there. The last time we went home was 2 years ago in August and I really thought I was going to melt, it was SO hot!! And the humdity, oh there's no way to describe it unless you've been there when it's 105 degrees with 100% humidity and the heat index is 110. It's unbareable!) But anyway, we had a great time at Chuck E. Cheese. As a consumer, I have to say what a rip! You spend $30(or more) on tokens so your kids can play a hundred games, to win a few hundred tickets, so they can turn those in for some little plastic toys or candy that probably cost C.E.C. less than a penny each. Oh well, the kids had a great time and that's all that matters. Plus they had a new game that's like "Deal or No Deal", and if I'm honest I'll tell you I spent a few bucks in tokens on that one myself!!
On day 5 of our trip, June 3rd, we ventured to the Kansas City Zoo. Again I have to tell you what a cheap adventure this was: with both of us having zoo memberships to other zoos, online discounts, and packing a lunch, the cost was $10.50 for the four of us to get in. Not bad, huh!! The Zoo has changed a lot over the years. It's divided into 3 areas: Africa, the Kid's Zone, and Australia. We spent our time in Africa & the Kid's zone. With the dense amount of trees surrounding the zoo, you truly feel like you're on a different continent. I really thought the animals had authentic and spacious living quarters. We saw hippos, cheetahs, gorillas, giraffe, zebra, and of course the wild dogs. Katelyn had asked all morning to see the wild dogs. Would someone PLEASE get that child a dog already!!!! After a long day at the zoo, we went out to dinner at Applebees. YUM!
To be continued....
2 comments:
Sounds like you had a busy time already and it's only been a few days! Did you find any time to sleep ;) I totally agree with CEC being a rip off, and yet the kids loooove it right!
I love to hear about good old Kansas City. It is a great place with lots of fun stuff to do. You are lucky to have missed the humidity!!!
Post a Comment