Sunday, August 15, 2010

T-Ball summer 2010

This summer Katelyn tried out a different sport: T-ball! And she absolutely loved it!! Each week she would have a practice on Tuesday & then a game on Thursday. We were blessed with wonderful weather, supportive teammates(and parents!), and the best coach ever-our good friend Treva Copeland. Treva did an amazing job with these 5 & 6 year olds. I was so impressed by Treva's positive attitude and her focus on what it means to be a good teammate. Not only did Katelyn learn the fundamentals of the game, but she learned what it means to be "a good sport" ie. cheer on your teammates, shake hands & offer congratulations to the opposing team, do your best & have a positive attitude.

Treva went above and beyond what was required of her as coach. I loved that she would start each practice with exercises and team-building questions. Treva obviously wanted to get to know each child and help them connect with each other as well. Also, after each game Treva would announce one child as "MVP" for that game & they would receive a special ball to keep. On the night Katelyn received her ball she had been playing catcher & she really had worked so hard that night. When Treva handed her the "MVP" game ball, Katelyn was just beaming from ear to ear!! On the evening of the last game, Treva hosted an ice cream party for the kids and their parents. At the party each child received a trophy and a certificate. Treva named Katelyn the "Most Enthusiastic" player. It was such a special moment for her and for me. I will always be grateful to Coach Treva for such a positive experience. And we're really looking forward to playing ball again next summer-so glad you're going to coach again, Treva!!

Dear Katelyn-
You worked so hard this summer learning how to play T-ball & what it means to be a good teammate. I couldn't be any prouder of you! Nothing in this world makes me happier than watching you having a good time. I love you!
~Mom

My T-baller~

At every practice coach Treva would do some kind of team-building activity. Here the children are trying to "catch the coach".

Katelyn ready to hit a grand slam!

Helpful batting hints from coach~

And dad "pitches in" too!

1 comment:

Tera said...

I'm glad that Katelyn had such a great experience playing T-ball! Having a great coach makes all the difference in the world. You and I both feel the same way about letting kids experience all sports! Good Job Katelyn!