Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"I'll be waiting right here for you..."

...I thought as Katelyn bounced happily along in line with her class toward the school. And even though I walked away from the school with a few tears in my eyes, I felt content knowing that Katelyn was excited about starting 1st grade. It's hard to feel sad when Katelyn is so happy.

Today Katelyn started 1st grade in a new school. I was really worried that I wouldn't know what to do with myself while she was at school ALL DAY that first day back. And I did watch the clock. And I did check her class schedule off and on throughout the day so I'd know what she would be doing from moment to moment. But overall, my day went really fast. I talked on the phone, I blogged, I did chores, I caught up on Facebook news, and I read a new book. And before I knew it, it was 2:45 & time to go get my girl from school.

When I picked Katelyn up from school, I could tell she was tired. And famished. The kid was starving-when we got home she needed a snack right away & drank 3 full glasses of water. Oh, & peed like a racehorse-she hadn't gone to the bathroom all day!!! I asked her numerous questions about her day, but she just wasn't having it-she needed some down time so I respected that boundary & let her decompress with her Wii.

Later we went to piano lessons, and on the way to her teacher's house, she told me a little about her day. Here's the gist: she thinks her teacher is very nice, she had a couple of kids to play with at recess & someone to sit with at lunch, she liked the math work, and she earned all her stickers. A successful first day, wouldn't you agree?!!

Dear Katelyn,
You've adjusted to a new school, a new teacher, new kids, new schedule, new everything with confidence, courage, and spunk! I am so proud of you! Thanks for easing your 'ol mom into this all-day school stuff with kindness-you've been very patient with me. It's no secret that I've had a hard time letting go, but I realize what a big girl you are & that you want some independence. I get it. Just remember I love you & I'll always be here if you need me!
Love,
Mom xxoo

A healthy breakfast to start your first day~

My 1st grader~

New year-new shoes!

A smile is worth a thousand words~

Katelyn's good friend Merriam is in her class~

Meeting Principal McNair~

Katelyn's teacher, Mrs. Hamilton~

As I was walking home from taking Katelyn to school, I saw this little bunny sitting quietly in the grass. I thought to myself, "wow this little bunny is so peaceful and content & not afraid to let me be close to it." And in that moment, a peaceful feeling washed over me, and I knew everything was going to be alright.

1 comment:

Tera said...

You know...Katelyn adjusted so well to school and her life away from you because you gave her the confidence she needed to do so. I know it is hard for you to let go, but that Katelyn can let go so easily is a testament to the fact that she has received so much love and security in your arms. She KNOWS she can always come back to your arms so she feels safer to venture out a little further. She doesn't have to worry about whether you'll be there to welcome her back or not. You are the best mom ever!