It's official. Today was Katelyn's 1st day of Kindergarten. How am I feeling today? One word: bittersweet. Did I come home & cry buckets of tears or just go back to bed like my good buddy Jen Copeland did when her daughter had her 1st day of Kindergarten? No I didn't. I'm not sad. But I'm only sort of happy. I'm happy that Katelyn loves her school, that there were no 1st day jitters, that this is her 3rd year at this school so she knows the routines, where to find a potty, who to play with already, who her teachers are, etc. I take great comfort in all of that. As a teacher-mom, I love that she's been asking when does she get to go back to school for about a month now. I love that she'll learn all kinds of new stuff this year. I look forward to the monthly field trips, school parties that I'll help with, and all the other special events her school will have such as the Christmas program in December, or Back-to-School Night, or the Art Fair.
So why bittersweet? Because when we moved to our "new" house 3 1/2 years ago, Katelyn was 20 months old. She was a baby-toddler. She was still little. And now at 5 years old, she just seems so "all-growd up", as she puts it. Five. Might as well be ten. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I know these next five years will just fly by and then the next five, and before I know it we'll be doing the "off to college" shopping. I wish I could slow down time. What's the rush? Why do the days just fly by? One season turns into the next and before I know it another year has gone by too. Fortunately Katelyn is only in half-day Kindergarten, so I only have to endure about 2 1/2 hours of silence. You know what I'm talking about. It's quiet at my house. A constant reminder that she's at school and not with me. That she's growing up.
So, I picked Katelyn up at 11:30 & I didn't see her at first on the playground. I was talking to her teacher when all of a sudden she slams into my body wrapping her arms around my leg. I love that she's so happy to see me, but most of all I love that she's all smiles. She's had a wonderful 1st day of school & can't wait to show me a "work"(Montessori referrs to all school-work as a "work"). She & her friend Rylee have completed the hundreds board together and she's very proud of herself. I am proud of her. On the way home she calls her daddy (our tradition since preschool to call daddy every day after I pick her up), and tells him, "Daddy, I had my first day of Kindergarten and it was AWESOME!" What more could I ask for?? Well...I would ask for time, a lot more time.
Dear sweet Katelyn,
Mommy & Daddy are so very proud of you! We're so happy that your first day of Kindergarten was "Awesome". And we love you with all our hearts.
3 comments:
I was riding along this journey of the first day of kindergarten with you. I could feel everything you were describing, the joy mixed with sadness. It's very bittersweet like you said. But, then when you described the shopping for college my heart just broke in two. It's like someone slammed me into a brick wall and I can hardly keep the tears from coming. As close as it may seem for you, Lauren is 4 years closer to that than Katelyn and it breaks my heart. What will we do when that day comes? You may have to come to my house when she leaves and force me to get dressed. That day won't be bittersweet at all. How could you be happy that your child is leaving you, and may never live under the same roof as you again? I wish for more time too.
I am so glad that Katelyn had a great first day. I am especially glad that you handled it well. What did you do with your time? I bet it was wonderful. (I'm daydreaming!)
Congratulations on making it through your baby's first day of kindergarten! It's a big deal, for sure. I can relate to your bittersweet feelings, having been there three times myself. Letting go of both of my boys was so difficult, but Mimi was so ready for school, and I knew that she would be okay. Letting her go to kindergarten was a pretty smooth transition. But by noon, I was yearning for her to be with me again. So glad for those special times alone with her before Bree was born...
Tera-I promise that when Lauren leaves for college, I will come to your home & make sure you're out of bed(out of your pjs-optional). And if we're living in different cities by then(GOD help us), I promise I will call you and make sure you're out of bed. I promise.
What did I do this morning? I wrote my blog, read my book, & polished my toenails the same color as Katelyn's, her favorite color-BLUE!!
LYP!
Post a Comment