Monday, September 14, 2009

Family Barbecue!

We had a family barbecue on Sunday. Even though we'd had the date on the calendar for a month, Shane & Gina had to cancel at the last minute. We were disappointed, but decided the party should go on as planned! Michael Jr. came down from Ft. Collins and Shelbey, Elton, & Sean came up from Castle Rock. We barbecued brats and burgers, Michael brought his homemade chili, and Shelbey brought her homemade guacomole for chips. We also had fruit, potato salad, beans, & Strawberry Pie for dessert. (With 2 barbecues & a Baptism Reception this weekend, I'm going to be in some big trouble at WW on Wed. OY!)

Katelyn had a wonderful time playing with her big brother and Elton, Shelbey's significant other/partner/boyfriend/common-law husband. ~I'm not sure what do you say when they aren't officially married, yet live together and have a son together. Boyfriend seems a bit immature for that type of relationship, significant other seems too impersonal, yet husband isn't correct either until there's some kind of marriage or document signed. Oh well. Anyway, this was our first opportunity to meet Elton. And Mike & I both really like him. I mean REALLY like him! He was fantastic with the kids. And let's face it, any man who gets down on the floor and plays with his kid or mine gets a favorable vote from me! Mike & Elton bonded out in the garage sharing a smoke and a conversation over plumbing issues, Elton's trade. Nothing impresses Mike more than a man who turns in an honest hard day's work~someone who works hard to support his family.


It's nice to be a family. That sounds simplistic, I know. But it's true & from my heart. My step children are grown with busy lives of their own. And let's face it-relationships can be complicated. It's also very hard to get a date on the calendar that will work for everyone's schedule. But getting together to share a meal, conversation, playtime, etc. is important. The wheels in my head are already turning for the next get-together!


We decided to eat in the dining room. I mean why should it only be used for Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Easter??

Michael Jr. & Katelyn have a special bond

Katelyn warmed up to Elton right away!

Of course there was wrestling with her big brother!

And hugs for daddy!

2 comments:

Tera said...

Sounds like a perfect day! I love having people over for dinner and sharing good conversation and good food. I'm glad you finally were able to meet Elton. I'd figured that you already had. The baby is getting so big and is so beautiful!

Cara said...

I love family dinners. Reading about yours makes me miss my family, all of whom are so very far away. This fact makes me so grateful for you. As one of my best friends, you and your husband and daughter are a part of the family I have created here in Colorado. I love you.