Sunday, October 25, 2009

The heart wants what the heart wants...

and my little girl wants a dog with all her heart. SO much so that most of the time she pretends to be a dog. Every day Katelyn is a different dog, and it doesn't matter where we are I have to treat her like a dog. This means when we're shopping at Target I have to hold a pretend leash and say "good dog", or "come here puppy", or "heel girl", and I also have to "pet" her all the time. Katelyn has no qualms about barking or panting in public either. I can only imagine what the other patrons think-they probably think I'm some sort of horrible abusive woman who treats her child like a dog.

We have read countless number of library books about dogs, and Katelyn is full of facts about all the different breeds. Katelyn pretends to be her "new favorite" breed of dog every day. For example, yesterday she was a Doberman, today she's a Beagle named Beagley(naturally), and last Thursday she was apparently a Dalmation. If you look closely at the pink shirt she's holding up in the pictures below, you can see all of the blue dots she drew on her shirt representing the spots of a Dalmation, "Downy the Dalmation" to be precise. I have no idea how or when she was able to draw blue ink dots all over her shirt because there were actually four adults in our home that day and none of us saw her do it. And when I finally discovered what she had done, it was hard to be mad because when your little girl looks at you with those puppy dog eyes after you exclaim: "Katelyn, what did you do to your shirt?" And the response is: "I'm a Dalmation, Mommy, and these are my spots!" Well, what are you supposed to do??!

Well, what I'd like to do, no what I'd LOVE to do, is get my little girl a dog. Unfortunately her father is 100% opposed to the idea. Why? Namely because of the poo. Doesn't matter how many times I've promised to clean up the poo and to be solely responsible for said dog, Mike refuses to budge an inch on this issue. I mean, come on already, every child deserves a special pet to grow up with and especially "onlys" who don't even have siblings to rely on. Every child needs that special friend who loves them unconditionally, who never gets mad at them, who will sleep with them, play with them, comfort them, take care of them, etc. I was blessed to have the most wonderful little dog growing up. His name was Whitney and he was a Cockapoo that we got when I was about 13. Whitney was the runt of the litter, a tiny white dog with black spots, and absolutely the sweetest heart of any animal I've ever encountered. Whitney lived to be 20 and gave our family 20 years of love, laughs, and joy. I still miss him. (Sorry, dad, I know that was tough to read.)

Anyway, so what about Josie you ask? Well, first of all, Josie is 16-17 years old and most of the time could care less about Katelyn. Secondly, Josie is pretty sickly & may not be with us much longer. I have spent over a $1,000.00 in the last month trying to find out what's wrong with my sweet little kitty. And even though Josie doesn't have much use for Katelyn, Katelyn really loves Josie. I know Katelyn's heart will break when Josie passes, as will mine. Even more reason for Katelyn to get a new pet. Right?!!

So, Mike, since I know you read my blog from time to time, I'm just gonna lay it on the line and tell it to ya straight up: You're seriously dropping the ball on this one Chief! Katelyn is little now, but she won't always be. NOW is the time to get her a special friend, a pet she can grow up with. NOW is the time to make her dream come true. NOW is the time to give her her heart's desire. So here's the deal: When Josie does finally go to heaven, something I accept will happen sooner rather than later, I WILL get Katelyn a new pet. I would love to get her a dog, but if that is still absolutely out of the question, then we will be getting a new kitty and possibly more than one. I would really love it if you came on board with me, so that Katelyn can grow up with the memory that BOTH of her parents made her dream come true. It's your decision now, Chief, because my mind is already made up!





2 comments:

Tera said...

It's so much easier to laugh because I didn't pay for her clothes and she isn't my child!!! But I loved that day, finding the dots all over her clothes and I loved more her explanation for why she did it.

I just laugh out loud imagining you petting Katelyn at Target and telling her to heel! Can you imagine what people think? It really is quite funny! Thank God for blogs, which teach us to look for the bright side and laugh at and with our children instead of overreacting.

And Mike, if your reading this? I totally get the dog poop problem too. I'm right there with you. But Katelyn needs a dog. Give in already! How can you tell that sweet little face "No"?

Christa said...

Oh, I love that you pet her in the store, that is the best! I would love to be behind you and get the biggest smile ever! Your daughter needs a dog! Just let the dog run throughout the neighborhood and poop in other peoples yards- problem solved :) Others do it, why not you!

If you ever want to borrow Mocha, just let me know. She is the sweetest, oldest and most kind chocolate lab ever, she would love Katelyn!