And the feeling is mutual!!! I hate you exercise, I really do! Weight Watchers encourages activity(code for exercise) as a part of a successful weightloss program. In their booklet #2 "start moving more" they list all the reasons why activity is important(pg. 6 if you're interested). Their number one reason which they actually list 3 times on the page is: "More Energy"-Seriously?? Who do they think they're kidding?? I went to the gym today and did some strength training and about 45 minutes on the treadmill. I don't have "more energy"-I can barely keep my eyes open while I type this post. I need a nap! Seriously! When am I supposed to get this "more energy"? 3 am when I'm trying to sleep?
WW lists other reasons that probably are true so I'll list a few I can agree with(sort of): a toned & healthy body(although they should explain that you have to exercise A LOT to get this benefit-a few times won't cut it); improved heart health; stronger bones(a daily ff latte will do the same thing); less body fat; lower LDL-bad cholesterol & improved HDL-good cholesterol(I have great cholesterol, my doctor wishes he had my cholesterol!!; a reduced risk for developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer-well, o.k., that's actually a great reason to exercise; and better sleep-well I seriously hope so because it's about 6:41pm right now and I figure I got maybe another hour left before I crash. And so help me I better not wake up at 3 am with that "more energy"!!!!!
Now for a few of their reasons that are just total B.S., pure & simple: better stamina & lung capacity: what stamina?? I don't have any stamina! And what do they mean by better lung capacity-who can pant the heaviest?? Believe me, there are some heavy-duty panters at my gym, not very attractive if you ask me! O.K. moving on-this is a good one: reduced stress levels and an improved mood-I'm laughing out loud right now. A better mood? Oh, that just kills me. You think I cuss like a sailor when I'm not at the gym, you should hear what I'm saying in my head while I'm working out. It ain't too pretty! Reduced stress level? Seriously?? I'm sorry, but I am just not one of those people who finds exercise relaxing. A massage, a hot bath, a warm fire, a good book, a glass of wine-now those things lower my stress-Exercise? Not so much.
I love my weight watchers program; I don't blame them for publishing this ridiculous little booklet on exercise. I blame the so-called "experts" they used as their resources. Those so-called "experts" who forgot to mention that exercise hurts!! It's painful! My back hurts so bad right now I can hardly sit in this chair. I'll have to sleep on my heating pad all night. Some of us actually have serious back, leg, and neck issues that make exercise almost unbareable. I say "almost" because I still manage to exercise at least 3 times a week. I love that WW lets you count all kinds of activity: housework, walking in the neighborhood, taking stairs instead of elevators, playing with your kids, just about anything that has you moving counts.
Well it's 7:01pm, I better get Katelyn in the tub-my eyes just won't stay open much longer! Better have one of Tera's 1pt. muffins first, though. They're yummy!!!
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Glad you liked the muffins!
Now on to my comments on your post. You KNOW how I feel about "activity" as I've posted about this same topic before. You and are are like minds on this subject. You know what's funny? I actually feel like I lose weight slower when I do "activity" than when I don't. Not sure why. I have to tell myself that I'm not working out to lose weight but to tone, and to help my bones stay strong because it doesn't boost the weight loss. It's all crappy though, no matter which way you look at it. I think there is something seriously wrong with people that like to work out. Like you said, I'd rather get a massage, take a nap, hang out with friends or read a book. I'd rather ??? than exercise. And that is saying a lot!
Exercise does suck. I took a vacation from formal exercise while pregnant with Bree. But once I am fully recovered from the surgery, I'll have to get "back in the saddle again". I don't look forward to it. I do know it's important, though, for good healthy and strength. Keep up the good work and remember that you aren't the only one cursing up a storm while sweating like a pig.
Post a Comment