Sunday, April 5, 2009

PMS SUCKS!!!

According to Mike, who helped me with the math, I have suffered through 312 weeks of PMS in the last 26 years(got my period when I was 13, late bloomer). And that's weeks mind you, it adds up to 2,184 days of PMS suffering in the past 26 years. Now, I don't know about you, but that number just doesn't seem big enough to reflect how bad PMS sucks!!! Whatever. That's 2,184 days full of unbelievable moodiness and crankiness, cramping(yeah, I get my cramps during my PMS week and my actual period week and also the week I ovulate so that's one week free of cramps a month-SUCKS!!) headaches, unparallelled bitchiness-Mike can confirm if you doubt),feeling on-edge, and the constant need to have something salty then something sweet, then something salty-then something sweet-chips-chocholate-chips-chocolate. You get the idea.

O.K., so when we're little girls and our periods finally arrive(an event we are actually anxiously awaiting-anyone else read "Are You There GOD it's Me Margaret?" a thousand times because it's about a girl like you waiting for her period and her boobies to grow?) But I digress. O.K., so when we're little girls our moms or dads tell us that getting our period is a wonderful thing because it means that eventually someday we'll be able to have babies. No one talks about PMS & it's various unpleasantries, or the actual disgusting mess which is a period. Well, I may have been deceived when I was 13, but I know better 26 years later. Let's be real, there's a reason men don't have menstrual cyles, get pregnant, & have babies. THEY COULDN'T TAKE IT!!!! But since I apparently can't have any more babies, I say ENOUGH of this madness!! Since I'm 39, I've actually been thinking there might be a light at the end of the tunnel-wait that would be Menopause. I've actually glimpsed the joy of Menopause already. Early on during our infertility treatments, the doctors had us try a Clomid protocol. Ah, Clomid, what a nightmare drug you are. On Clomid I actually had PMS symptoms x10 and hot flashes that were blinding(get it blinding, hot FLASHES? ig) SO, I already know some of what lies ahead when my periods finally do stop. More good times. So maybe when I'm 55-60, the suffering might actually cease?

Now that I've complained, justifiably, about how much PMS sucks; I feel compelled to tell you that deep down I realize what I would have given up. Because it did eventually mean that I was blessed to become pregnant and go through childbirth. Aside from 5 months of puking my guts out all day long, swollen hands & feet, hemorroids, blinding back pain, headaches, & shear exhaustion I actually loved being pregnant. I loved my big belly and wearing my maternity clothes and having perfect strangers tell me that I was glowing & expecting a girl-(how they knew that, I'm not sure, but they were right). I loved talking to Katelyn and singing to her, I even read aloud to her. Even when she would wake me up at 3am cause she had the hiccups, I loved it. No one else in the world got to know what that felt like. I'm so grateful that I was the one who got to be pregnant and feel all the little flutterings and movements. I would have been so jealous if the tables were turned and Mike actually got that privelege. In a way, it's like we as women have a universal secret because we're the only ones who really know what carrying a baby feels like. What a blessing!

All of the above led to the day Katelyn was born 4 years, 8 months, and 7 days ago. A post for another day, this one's already getting too long. I will tell you that the moment she was freed from me and placed on my belly was the most precious moment of my life. As you can imagine I was bawling. And saying to her, "Katelyn, I'm you're mommy-I've waited so long for you" and my blessed babe, coverd in goo, looked right at me and just smiled. She knew me. Believe it or not, but that's a true story.

PMS still sucks, though:)

2 comments:

Tera said...

Oh Shelly! I remember anticipating my period too. For some reason I thought I was the only one. Good to know I was not alone. When I finally started, I went in and woke my mom up to tell her. She laughed at me. I remember being so embarrassed.

I loved how your post ended. You are right, I have always thought that if tables were turned and JP was the one who was pregnant how jealous I would be. I am grateful that I get to be the one to do that. It is the most amazing thing in the entire world, even though there are hard parts I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is amazing. But yes, PMS sucks!

Cara said...

I agree with all of your comments, Shelly. I, too, greatly anticipated the arrival of my period when I was a teenager. I was 14 when it finally came (the last of my group of girlfriends). I remember thinking at the time that I was finally going to be a big girl, and that the boobs would come soon after. Did they ever!

Yes, we are the favored species in that we are blessed to carry and deliver the babies. How jealous our husbands must be! But I agree with you, that it was meant to be this way, namely because the other species couldn't!