Tuesday, April 14, 2009

For My Sanity

You've heard of moms being referred to as "soccer moms, gymnastics moms...etc." How about "Park Moms"? Every nice day possible Katelyn & I join our neighborhood friends at our small park for some fresh air, play, and good conversation. It has become my break from the mundane routine of daily housework, laundry, bill paying, cooking etc. I look forward to nice days when we can all get together as much as I look forward to our moms-night-out when we can all get away(o.k., well almost as much)!!

My mom was here for Easter, and yesterday I spent most of the day putting my house back together. I know it sounds strange, but my mom can wreck my clean house faster than my 4-year-old ever could. I was pretty put out with the mess; but about 3pm we escaped to the park and immediately my attitude, my feelings, everything changed. I NEEDED that break from my space, from the chores, FOR MY SANITY!! My friends are so good for me. I feel so incredibly blessed to have these women in my life. While our kids have a ball playing together, we sit on "our" park bench and talk about everything: the past, the present, the future; we share our stories, we talk about what we're making for dinner, we talk about our kids-you name it and it's probably been on our agenda. I've always been a person who needs good friends around me, and I have made some really good friends in this small little community of ours! And it's SO good for Katelyn too. Friends are just as important to her.

It's amazing what a couple hours of fresh air & good conversation can do for me. I know I'm a better mother and wife because of it. When we get home I feel refreshed, ready to make dinner, ready for bath & bedtime, ready to tackle the next day!

I love you guys! See 'ya at the park!:)

2 comments:

Cara said...

Shelly, I also love our times at the park. In fact, I agree that it does help the sanity. We are blessed to live in this tiny community and even more blessed to call one another friends. I thank heaven for you. Having you as my friend has enriched my life.

Tera said...

I too look forward to this every day. It is my sanity saver as well. I am so glad that we have become such good friends. It is truly an answer to my prayers. You are an amazing, strong woman and I am priviledged to call you friend.