Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Back to Weight Watchers

I am so pyched! I joined Weight Watchers today! It's been 5 years since I did their program, and I'm really excited about refocusing on my weight loss goals. Here are my top reasons why Weight Watchers is such a good program for me:

1. Real food! No pre-packaged yucky food that I get sick of after about 2 weeks! Plus I buy the same food for my family, so I'm not preparing 2 separate meals! And I will be cooking even healthier which will be good for all of us.

2. Weighing-In every week is such a HUGE motivator for me! There's no way I want to weigh more or the same! And there's another person checking to make sure that I don't!

3. Support group! Not only do I get the benefit from the meetings, but there are 3 other gals from my neighborhood doing WW too, so we can be a constant support for each other! We can share recipes, tips, ideas...So cool, right!

4. This may sound nuts, but I love keeping a food journal, making food lists, calculating points...it's like having a project! I love a project!

5. WW has changed a lot in 5 years-they have so many new tools like the points calculator-so awesome & the online support program! They have eating-out guides so you can stay on the program when you go out to eat or if you pick up something on the quick! And that's really one of the reasons why I think WW works for most people-you are not deprived. You can still go out to eat or have a piece of cake at a birthday party. Like this weekend for my moms-night-out, we're going to the Melting Pot. I've never been, but it sounds pretty calorie-heavy. But on WW, you get 35 extra points every week, so if I save all those points, I should be fine! What other diet let's you do that without the guilt?

6. The weekly meeting I'm attending is for moms & tots, so when Katelyn's not in school this summer, she can go with me. She never says if she notices I am overweight, but she will notice as I get smaller I'm sure. I will be modeling good eating habits for her. I will be showing her that I'm setting goals and working hard to attain them.

7. I've already lost 30 lbs. on my own, so I don't feel defeated already. You know how when you start a diet and you see that number on the scale, and you're like there's just no way. I don't feel that way this time. In fact, as I lose weight I'll actually be seeing numbers on the scale that I haven't seen since my twenties. That REALLY means something to me. I'll be 40 in November and I'll weigh less then I did when I turned 30.

8. WW IS a diet, but it's really more about making a life change. You learn portion control and the right amount of food servings. When you have accomplished your weight loss goal, you still follow the program. It's not like Nutrisystem where when you're done, you just go back to old eating habits. And WW doesn't cost near as much as Nutrisystem.

9. WW also stresses the importance of exercise. Another good reason to get the i-Pod out of the box and utilize my gym membership more often!

10. I'm doing this for myself-I'm focusing on something I need to do for me and that's not always easy for us moms. But it will benefit my family too. I'll have more energy for one thing! I will feel better about myself, have more confidence, and ultimately be a better wife & mother.

I'm really proud of myself for taking the first step(can you tell? HA!). I've already finished day 1 and did not go over my points, nor did I cheat. It wasn't hard either. Thanks to everyone whose offered their support! I'll keep 'ya posted!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Shelly, I am so proud of you for doing this! It will be great for you, physically and mentally. Let me know how I can support you... maybe I'll quit bringing cookies over to you. :)

Tera said...

I remember after I'd lost almost 50 pounds on WW, I sat at a meeting, almost in tears, and told the leader that WW had given me my life back. I had more confidence, was a better wife and mom, all of the things you listed, I felt! I am so glad to be on this journey with you! It makes it so much easier when you have supportive friends surrounding you. We are blessed, aren't we?

Cara said...

I love your 10 reasons WW works for you, and have felt the same way during the two years I was on the program before becoming pregnant with Bree. I look forward to the day I can rejoin WW (Bree will be six weeks old on 12 June). I have confidence that the program works for anyone ready and willing to change their life.

We can cheer and support each other in our journeys. That's so exciting! Go, Shelly!