Thursday, March 19, 2009

A "rhymes with ditch" session

Let me preface this blog by saying I am NOT PMSing. Yesterday Katie and I made our weekly trek to Target. It's almost gotten to the point where I hate to go shopping because of the rude people I encounter. I know, I should be able to suck it up and brush it off, but I'm tired of doing that. And the older I get, the more apt I am to tell someone just exactly what I think of their behavior. Doesn't anyone say "excuse me" anymore? When someone else jams into your cart, is it really that difficult to say even an "oops"!!! Apparently so. Yesterday, the person who rammed into me gave ME a "huhrumph"! To her I replied, "excuse you"!! She didn't like that much. Too bad!!

I have to be careful when I get to the check-out that I get one of the pleasant associates(and yes I'm at Target so often, I know who the nice ones are)Reason being, I bring my own canvas bags. It's not because it's the trendy thing to do, it's because it's the right thing to do. (Ecobags.com has large, strong, and washable canvas bags, very reasonably priced) If I don't get one of the "nice" associates, inevitably I'm going to be given a hard time. Even if I offer to pack the bags myself!!!! I guess it's just so much harder for them to use my bags instead of their plastic ones. I don't really know what the big deal is, but it pisses me off!! I mean they got my $200, they should be falling over themselves to thank me for my business!!

Not to mention that the guy behind me in line is ticked because he's had to wait with his 2 items, while I purchase a whole cart full of stuff. AND he's giving ME the dirty looks! Is it my fault that they don't open up one of the express lanes?!! And besides, I was here first, jerk. I had to wait my turn. Remember kindergarten, pal, I think we were supposed to learn that little lesson back then!!

O.K. so now we're out in the parking lot, car's loaded, child is safely secured. I am almost backed out of my parking space when some idiot decides to fly past behind me. I have to SLAM on my brakes! WHAT?? Are you kidding me? I thought it was universally known that when someone is already pulling out of a parking space, you let them continue and finish. You know what, without even thinking, I flipped 'em the bird! Thank GOD Katelyn didn't see me! Wouldn't want to have to explain that one to her.

So now we're on the entrance ramp to the highway, getting ready to merge. I notice a white mini-van in the next lane who has obviously made it her mission in life to not let anyone merge in. Well, not today sista!! I'm watching her in my left outside mirror scowl at me for trying to merge onto the highway. Instead of braking, and letting her fly on past, I put my foot full force on the accelerator (6 rpm's and no Mike would not be pleased!!!) I make it in front of her no problem! Score one for the little people!! At least I learned my lesson and didn't flip her off too!

You know my shopping experience yesterday is really about a larger issue. And that's the fact that some people have forgotten their manners. You know common courtesy. When did that go out of style? Please, thank you, excuse me: those are good things to remember. Mike and I stress good manners with Katelyn at all times. It seems to be working, she is very polite, and we are proud of her. I don't really have a solution for this issue, but I sure feel better now that I got that all out! Thanks for listening blogger!

2 comments:

Tera said...

You had me and JP cracking up as we read this. I loved your bit about "excuse you" to the lady, about the man learning to wait his turn in line in kindergarten and flipping the lady the bird. You are usually so mild mannered and sweet and it is so funny to hear something different! Sounds like you had a rough day. We had a little chuckle though! Missed you at the park today. It was beautiful outside and so warm!

Cara said...

Oh, Shelly, I love you so much, especially when you tell it like it is! Have you been watching Dr Phil?! I agree with you that good manners and common courtesy are a dying art. All we can do is stress their importance to our children and hope they heed our teachings.