Thursday, March 12, 2009

Too Quiet!

Today was the first time that Katelyn stayed at school all day. For those of you who know that the kid's never even had a babysitter, you can imagine the major withdrawal I experienced. (BTW-I need to give a shout-out to peeps Tera & Sarah for offering to babysit Katelyn numerous times-we just haven't taken you up on it!!) O.K., so I had an afternoon appt. today, and we decided to give the "all-day" thing a try. Well, Katelyn did great! She had a blast!! I'm not even sure she gave her 'ol mom a thought! But boy did I miss her! It was far too quiet in this big empty house! I had to blast the CD's and at one point I even had to turn Sesame Street on for added company! Pathetic, huh!

Sure I got a lot done: scrubbed all four bathrooms, vaccumed all levels, put a roast & vegies in the crockpot for supper, scoured the kitchen, and even read for an hour. All of that I might add without the mommy-guilt I usually feel when Katelyn's home and I'm doing housework instead of teaching or playing with her. That was actually nice. But it was just too quiet. And I really missed her. It also brought back the sadness I felt when the last IVF (#5) didn't work in October. I'm really done, no more babies??! So much of my energy and thoughts have been on trying to get pregnant these past 10 years, that the finality of that is also forcing me to realize that Katelyn is growing up and pretty soon she'll be at school more that she'll be home with me. These past 5 years home with her have been the best years of my life. I can't believe how fast she's growing up. I'm not even allowed to call her my little girl anymore, ie. "Mom I'm not little!" I hear that all the time!

Today has given me a lot to think about as far as when she's in school all day every day. I'm going to have to substitute or I know I'm going to be really depressed. So next year when she's in Kindergarten, I think we'll do some more "all-days", so I can sub and get my foot back in the teaching world. My professional license has expired, so I'm going to have to take a couple on-line classes, might as well look into that too. One thing's for sure, this house is too quiet without my baby here.

1 comment:

Tera said...

It is always sad when they go to school all day. I think they spend more waking hours with their teachers and peers than they do with us. It makes those first 5 years that much more important, and the time they are not at school that much more valuable. In some ways I look forward to the kids all being in school so I can get my work done (like you said) with out the mommy guilt. But I sure will miss their little voices and the sounds of their feet running through the house!