Friday, March 20, 2009

Rest in Peace

I have been so affected by the actress Natasha Richardson's sudden passing. Her death & the way she died came as such a shock. I think it hit home the fact that we don't really know when our time is going to be up. My heart aches for her family, especially her teenage sons and her husband. A month ago I had a health scare and had to have some tests. Even though the chances were good that I would be fine, I was terrified at the thought of leaving my daughter. She's only 4 1/2, she needs her momma. I remember praying to GOD(pleading really)and assuring him that he didn't want me. I would not come willingly. I could NOT leave my little girl. Did those thoughts go through Natasha's mind when she realized that something was really wrong? I pray that she slipped into an unconscious state before that terror could set in.

Natasha was only 45, way too young. That is also haunting me. I imagine her husband feels robbed, they seemed so in love. I think back to Princess Diana's untimely death as she also left two young sons. I pray Natasha's sons will find comfort in their memories. I weep for Natasha's mother, no one wants to outlive their children. It's not supposed to happen that way. I think dealing with death is very hard whatever the circumstances. But when the death comes as a complete shock, it's different. The grieving process is different. If you've experienced losing a loved one that way you know what I mean. When I was 18 my paternal grandmother committed suicide the day before Thanksgiving. No one in our family had any idea that Grandma wasn't well. We were expecting her to arrive for the holiday with homemade pies. Instead a state trooper showed up at my Aunt's door, and asked if we could identify the woman in the driver's license he was holding. My dad and my aunt then had to go to the morgue and identify her body. Grandma jumped from a bridge into the Mississippi River and drowned. She was 64. It was the hardest funeral I've ever attended. I still miss you grandma.

I pray for peace for Natasha's family and for all the families grieving the loss of a loved one tonight. When I say my prayers tonight I will be sure to thank GOD for another day with my loved ones. And I will try to remember to cherish each new day I'm given.

2 comments:

Tera said...

Oh Shelly, Thank you for sharing such a personal story about your grandmother. That must have been so heartbreaking and tragic, especially at such a young age. You are right that death is always hard, but so much harder when it comes unexpectedly and you don't get to say your goodbyes. There was a difference in the mourning between my grandmother's death, which we all knew was soon at hand, versus my grandfathers (2 years ago) that was so unexpected, or my stepsister's death (She was 20, I was 19). Those deaths are a lot harder to take in and deal with. Thank you for your heart felt post. You have such a tender heart and I love that about you!

Cara said...

I enjoyed your post, Shelly. How kind and genuine you are in your concern for Natasha Richardson's family, though you never knew any of them. But that is just the type of person you are; tenderhearted. Love you, Shelly.