Saturday, March 14, 2009

A few of my favorite things...

It's 8:30 in the p.m. Katie's asleep, the daily chores are done, another day is winding down...now it's MY time. My time to do my most favorite thing (G-rated that is), READ!!!! I LOVE TO READ!! I read about a book every 24 hours, 400 pages or so is no problem. I have always been a fast reader if I like something. Right now I love romance novels, historical romance novels to be exact. Give me a strapping medieval Scottish Highland Laird any day! I also like romance novels with a component of mystery as well. And let's not forget my vampires from the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, definetly on my list of favorite books of all time!! I have read all the Julie Garwood books, and am now reading all of Lynn Kurland. Next up is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and I have several of the Amanda Scott books on order from the library. Ahh, the library, I love the library-free books, is there anything better???? (I am always looking for new authors, romance if you please; so if you have suggestions, please let me know!)

I wish I had a dollar for every book I've read in my 39 years. We'd have no problem putting Katelyn through Vet school! And happily, my love for reading has rubbed off on her. During the day, we'll sit on the sofa both reading our own books. She'll often look at mine and ask what a word is or ask me to read aloud from my book. (only the non-smutty parts-LOL!) Then she'll take a turn reading from her book! I'm so glad my daughter loves to read.

My neighborhood peeps started a book club and we had our first meeting last month. We read The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Not my usual fair, but I really liked the book. We had a great discussion. You kinda need a discussable book for a book club, not much to discuss with my usual choices! Next month we're reading My
Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. It's wonderful to have friends who share my love of reading!

My recipe for a blissful couple hours: a warm fire in the fireplace, a bit of rain or snow outside, a hot cup of something, and a really good book! Perfection!

2 comments:

Tera said...

I share your love for reading! There is nothing like escaping into the world of a book, and nothing quite as lonely when the book is finished. I, unfortunately, have to grab a minute here and there to read, so it takes me sometimes a couple of weeks to finish a book. But I love that even if it's not G rated I can read it while my kids are in the same room, can't say that for TV. Books go everywhere too; while driving in the car (as long as you're not the one driving!), waiting rooms, restaurants, etc! Happy reading. I'm really looking forward to our next book night! Peep out!

Cara said...

Amen, sister! I love to read, too! And I share your idea of perfection: a good book, nasty weather outside, something hot and chocolaty to drink, while enjoying a warm fire. Like Tera, one of the best things about a book is that they are portable! Anytime, anywhere! I am blessed to be able to read in the car, too, for hours. Yes, I am one of the lucky few! Peeps rock!