Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Oxygen




Before we left for school today, Katelyn insisted that her Dalmation, "Downy", needed to ride in a car seat too! Cute, huh! But her request really got me thinking about something else which is this: Katelyn, I'm so glad you're still little. Glad that you think it's fun to rig up a car seat for your stuffed animal. Glad that you have such an active imagination. Relieved that you're still so sweet & innocent to the more complex issues of this life. Although I try to hide it from you, the fact that you're growing up way too fast is really hard on me. The time we share together is so precious to me. I realize that next year when you're in 1st grade, our time together will be cut in half. I realize that 10 years from now, you will no longer consider me the most important person in your life. (GOD help me, but you may not even like me much at all).

Lately Katelyn is very obsessed with turning 6. There isn't a day that goes by that she doesn't remind me that she's almost 5 1/2. And that she'll be 5 3/4 in April. July 29th(when she will turn 6) seems so far off to her. Katelyn knows all of her friends birthdays by heart: Jacob turned 6 in November, Sydney earlier this month, Shea next month, and Miriam in March. As much as I enjoy having a 5 year old, I can sympathize with her desire to be six. It must be really hard to always be the last of your friends to turn the next age.

Aside from the issue of waiting, I hadn't realized until now what a big deal turning 6 really is!! For example Katelyn is obsessed with losing her first tooth-she wiggles a "loose" tooth all the time. (I don't have the heart to tell her that it's not really loose!) Apparently when you're 6 you also get to watch "older" t.v. shows like Hannah Montana, ICarly, & the like...(sorry, honey, but I don't think so!!)

Katelyn is already taking huge steps towards her independence. In an effort to prove to me how "big" she is, she has asked for more responsibility at home like feeding our cat, setting the table, helping me to fold laundry, unloading the dish washer, cleaning up her toys, etc. I love that she asks for these tasks, rather than me having to insist that she do them. I've always been a huge proponent of positive intrinsic behaviors.

Additionally, Katelyn has insisted on taking over her own self-care. I have to admit this has been a tough one! For example, she insists on brushing & flossing her own teeth-great, right!! Unless, of course she forgets or doesn't do an adequate job. It's so hard not to want to do it for her just to make sure it gets done right. Katelyn insists on picking out her outfits now too. Oh, I have to bite my tongue hard not to comment on her choices. Like the other day when it was 40 degrees & she insisted on wearing a tank dress(with a 4th of July theme)& a thick winter vest over the top of it, and snow boots. We actually went to the mall with her dressed like that & when people looked at my daughter, I just smiled. I had to because when it's all said & done, I'm proud of her for being strong-willed & independent!

I guess what I want to say most of all is this: Katelyn, don't be in such a hurry to grow up. The truth is if I could slow down time I would. I'm grateful for every moment we share together. Please stay little. You're my oxygen. I love you.
XXOO,
Momma

1 comment:

Tera said...

Beautifully said my friend!