Well, maybe. It's really too soon to tell. Katelyn, along with her good buddy Shea, is taking instructional basketball at the Rec. Center this winter. So far, Katelyn really loves it, but I have no grand illusions of a basketball scholarship just yet. (Shea on the other hand-seriously the girl's got game!!) Anyway, my goal for Katelyn is to expose her to as many different sports as I can. We've tried Karate, soccer, T-ball, Ballet, Gymnastics, swimming(really a life skill, not optional!), and now basketball. Ultimately, it's her decision which sport(s) become her favorites. One thing is certain: I will do whatever I can to encourage Katelyn to be involved in sports!! The reasons are many and pretty obvious: I want her to be fit and healthy; I want her to be a part of a "team" & to share in those special bonds with other children; I want her to gain self-confidence from being good at something; I want her to learn perseverance; and hey, a scholarship someday wouldn't hurt either.
We are very lucky to have a wonderful state-of-the-art Rec. Center just down the road. I am able to enroll Katelyn in an instructional sports class for a very modest fee. This enables her to try a new sport, and then as she gets older we can explore more options. So far, she has loved everything she's tried, but I think Karate & soccer have been her favorites! We have much to look forward to this year with basketball now, followed by soccer, and then T-ball & swimming lessons this summer. I am going to try and fit Karate back in there somehow, but with piano lessons too, it's hard not to get too busy & overwhelmed. Balance. That's the key.
Loving Basketball!

Katelyn & Shea

Working together~

A little guidance from Coach!

Stretching those muscles~
2 comments:
Katelyn is lucky to get to experience so many things, I wish I'd had the same opportunities growing up. And seriously, how could Shea not have game? Have you seen how tall she is?
Looks like a lot of fun. I was never, nor will I ever be, a basketball star. Oh well. I was a gymnast. Katelyn might be a basketball star--you never know. Kudos to you for affording your daughter so many opportunities during her young years. She's so fortunate.
Seriously, the verification word I'm being asked to type in below is "hookers". Go figure.
Post a Comment