Monday, July 13, 2009

Chimney Rock






You might be surprised to learn that the state of Nebraska is rich in our nation's history. If you know where to look, Nebraska has many historic sights to visit. You may also be surprised to learn that I LOVE history, especially American history. I am most interested in the history of the early pioneers who traveled across our vast prairie states. I come by my love for history quite naturally, as both of my parents are total history buffs!!

While on our recent trip to NE, we made the 15 minute drive to Chimney Rock, about 1 mile south of Bayard, NE. Nearly half a million pioneer travelers saw Chimney Rock as they made their way on the Oregon, California, Mormon, and even the Pony Express trails from the early to the mid 1800's. Many of these travelers kept diaries which have been compiled into books. I love reading their first-hand accounts of what life was like while they made their journey. A journey I can't imagine making. It might interest you to know that no other sight along the Oregon, California, or Mormon trails garnered more attention than Chimney Rock. According to the brochure I picked up at the Chimney Rock visitor center, "the monument signaled to the pioneers that the second phase of their journey west-the difficult (Rocky)mountain passage-was about to begin." Thousands of these folks actually scaled the tall spire so they could carve their names on the rock. Unfortunately over time Chimney Rock has significantly eroded away so none of the names are visible today.

I think my first introduction into this period of our nation's history came when I was a young girl reading the Laura Ingall Wilder books. I mean who didn't love "The Little House on the Prairie" tv series??? I can't wait until Katelyn is a little older so we can read the books together(I still have my original set!)

As an adult, I prefer to read the autobiographical accounts from the real pioneers. I am completely humbled when I read about what they went through walking alongside covered wagons for hundreds to thousands of miles. I can't really fathom the hardship and heartbreak they suffered on their journeys. So many babies and small children died on the journey. My heart breaks for those mothers(and fathers)-they loved their children as we love ours today. Husbands buried wives and wives buried husbands along the way. Many people became sick and died from Cholera because they didn't know the water wasn't fit for drinking. Many people were bitten by Rattlesnakes. Some people were attacked by Indians. All of the people suffered through horrible weather conditions. Can you imagine wearing a dress that covered you from head to toe sewn from itchy linen or wool material walking alongside a wagon in 100 plus degree heat?? I think about what those women went through and I know the dear LORD brought me into the world in 1969 for a reason!! You know they didn't take a bath every day. They didn't have Secret deoderant, Kotex maxi pads, makeup, toothpaste, lotion....can you imagine how they must have smelled?? I suppose no one knew any different. But still, I'm thankful for ALL of the modern conveniences I have today. I think about my little girl, about to turn 5, walking for miles every day across harsh prairie terrain. I'm so thankful for modern medicines, cars, air conditioning, heated houses, and the list could go on forever!!

All of the people who made these long journies did so with devout faith, conviction, and the promise of a better life when they reached their destination. I admire them for their courage, tenacity, and faith in GOD.

As much as I enjoy visiting historical sights, having Katelyn along is just the icing on the cake for me. I love sharing history with her! She has so many questions and is so interested in everything we do! I can just about see the neurons in her brain firing away as she gathers more knowledge about her world. It's one of the greatest joys of parenting for me! As Katelyn gets older, I look forward to more educational trips like: Washington D.C. & the Smithsonian-I've never been and I can't wait to share that experience with her. In a couple of years we'll take her to Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument-I've been several times and I know Katie will love it! I'd love to go back east and tour the Civil War monuments, the Antebellum homes, etc. There's so much to look forward to and I just can't wait!!!

1 comment:

Tera said...

You are right, the early pioneers sacrificed so much for us. I can't imagine the hardships they suffered. Their faith must have been indescribable. Still, I'd choose to live in this day and age. I wouldn't have strong enough.