Saturday, September 4, 2010

"And they called it puppy love.."

You know the song sung by Paul Anka from the 50's...well it looks like we have a case of puppy love at the Rajewich home. Walking home from school on Thursday, Katelyn announces to me(with a big sheepish grin on her face): "Mommy I have something to tell you. James and me love each other and we're gonna get married when we grow up." Just like that. She could have said, "look the sky is blue today" with just as much emphasis. My 6-year-old, my baby, was merely stating a fact. (The reaction in my head---"WHAT??") My reaction to Katelyn, "Ohhh, really. James, huh?? Well he does seem like a nice boy." Katelyn goes on to tell me, "I hope when Chris(our next door neighbor) moves, that James' family can buy his house and then James will be my next door neighbor too!!" (I'm thinking wow, she's pretty darn serious about this kid!)

I'm SO not ready for this!!! Clear something up for me could ya?? I thought boys were still supposed to be yucky or have cooties or something in the 1st grade. I sure don't remember liking boys in the 1st grade. Right?? Well, I guess along with everything else that's coming about much faster than it did when I was a kid, we can add "puppy love" to the list. Oh and incidentally, Katelyn went on to tell me about all the other little "couples" in her class. I'm not sure---should I be glad that Katelyn's not the only 6-year-old in love? Or should I be horrified that there's an epidemic of 1st graders who think they've met their soul mates??

When we reach our house, Katelyn informs me that she's going to write James a letter. ("O.K.", I'm thinking. I can encourage writing.) She informs me that she's going to tell James that she loves him in her letter. To which I reply, "How about you profess you're enduring friendship instead." To which she responds, "Nah, how about I sign my letter LOOVVEE, Katelyn." (Big smile!!)To which I reply, "Um, I don't think so silly!! I don't want to get a phone call from Mrs. Hamilton because I'm pretty sure she doesn't allow boyfriend/girlfriend stuff in the 1st grade!! Oh my.

That night after Katelyn's bath, she asks me if tomorrow is a school day. "Yes", I tell her. "Ohhhh good, she responds, I can't wait to see James!!!" Well, at least she's motivated to go to school. Is it too late to change my mind about homeschooling her???

A drawing of Katelyn and James holding hands~

After much negotiation, this is the letter that Katelyn finally wrote to James: "James thank you for being my friend." Well, I can live with that, but notice at the top of the letter where Katelyn changed the word "of" to a plus sign.
-sigh-


Dear Katelyn,
Well, you really caught yer 'ol mom off guard with this one!! Even though I know your "love" for James is all innocent enough, I really don't need anymore reminders that you're growing up. I get it. You're not my little baby anymore. But you'll always be MY little girl, so let's save the boy stuff for awhile--say 20 years???
Love you sweetie,
Mommy xxoo

2 comments:

Katie said...

Um, Shelly, do you remember our conversation last week about Miriam and her kiss in Kindergarten. Well, I hate to break it to you, but James seems to be making the rounds in the class. Watch that boy!

Tera said...

Innocent, yes! But, I did notice that Katelyn drew a heart on her letter...that girls got it bad! You are right that these children of ours are growing up way too fast. Times are just diffe rent now, unfortunately. I am confident though, when the time does actually come for Katelyn to fall in love, she'll be lucky to have you for a mom. You'll listen and counsel and guide her and she'll have a great confidant in you!