But the best Christmas gift of all was a visit from my dad, Katelyn's Grandpa Tom. He arrived on Dec. 23rd with our traditional barbecue supper in tow, this time from Gate's Barbecue. You may not know that Kansas City is famous for its BBQ, and every time my dad comes for a visit he brings a different restaurant's BBQ for us. YUM! In addition to bringing the BBQ, my dad always brings me the most beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers and helium-filled balloons for Katelyn. It's wonderful to have special family traditions. Thanks, dad-you're the best!
Lately Katelyn has been very interested in the history of Ancient Egypt. So on the 24th we took Grandpa Tom to the Denver Museum of Nature & Science so Katelyn could show him the Ancient Eqyptian Mummies exhibit. We also toured the special Genghis Kahn exhibit (which was fabulous!), and took in "The Little Star that Could" at the Gate's Planetarium. We had the best time! Katelyn & I have a membership to the museum & visit often, but it was SO special to have Grandpa along with us!
Is there anything better than Christmas morning with little ones? You hear the toilet flush, water running, and then little feet scampering down the stairs as fast as they can go! Did Santa bring me what I asked for?? Did Santa drink the milk and eat the cookies I left him?? Did he take the gift I left him too??(This year Katelyn decided it wasn't fair that Santa only gave presents, but didn't receive any himself. So she left him a note and one of her favorite books. Precious, right!) I'm telling you it just doesn't get any better than my daughter's excited little face on Christmas morning! We had a wonderful time opening gifts and sharing a breakfast of bacon & cinnamon rolls!
At about 1 pm my brother, Chad, joined us for Christmas dinner: Ham & Turkey from the Honeybaked Ham Store, AuGratin Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole, Sweet Potatoe Casserole, Fruit Salad, & Rolls. We had a wonderful time eating & visiting. Later in the day, Michael Jr. & Shelbey and her family joined us for Pecan/Cherry pie & ice cream. We all went to bed exhausted, FULL, and happy!
You might think the magic ended on Christmas Day, but we got an unexpected gift from Mother Nature. A snow storm that blew through late in the night closed I-70 from Limon, CO to the Kansas state line making it impossible for my dad to return home to Kansas City. Jokingly, I told my dad that he was my hostage!! I was just SO happy to have an extra day with him-when you only see your dad/Grandpa twice a year, an extra day makes a big difference!! We ate lunch at Red Robin and went to "The Chipmunk" movie later that afternoon. On the 27th he was able to leave for KC(sniff, sniff).
Here are some photos from our Christmas 2009~
Mom & Katelyn attempting to decorate a gingerbread house(next year I WILL buy the premade kind!!)
Grandpa & Katelyn at the Egyptian Mummy exhibit
"Walk like an Egyptian!"~the Bangals-the 80's rule!!
Grandpa & Katelyn at the Genghis Khan exhibit-turns out they don't like you to sit on the statue-nope not so much!!
Christmas morning: "Santa brought me the Ancient Egyptian Playmobile set I asked for!!!"
Not as thrilled over the new toothbrush in my stocking!
I got my own luggage set! When are we going on vacation???
Katelyn gave Grandpa a new calendar full of pictures of what else-Katelyn!!!
Opening gifts from mommy & daddy
Mommy & Katelyn
Christmas dinner
The kids
Our little family
My dad, me, & my brother
Katelyn with the Chipmunks(FYI-Alvin is her favorite!)
And of all the presents she received, what did Katelyn enjoy the most?? The cardboard boxes they came in!! Katelyn spent more time playing her games or pretending to be a dog in her "doghouse" than anything else.
Just doesn't get any better than this!
I want to say a special heartfelt "thank-you" to all of you who have read my blog this past year. Thanks for leaving comments, sending me an email, or just giving me a call(old-fashioned, I know!HA!) It's meant SO much to me to be able to connect our lives to yours! I wish each of you peace, best in health, and much happiness in the new year!
Love, Shell
2 comments:
First of all, I have a dog crate in my basement that isn't being used. We've cleaned it out so there isn't dog hair in it. Would Katelyn like it to play in??????Ha!
In the picture of you, your dad and your brother you look so thin!
And by the way! Your dad is very handsome! Pass it along.
What a wonderful holiday. I love the look on Katelyn's face with the toothbrush... I'm glad you were able to spend time with your dad this year, with the crazy weather and all.
Post a Comment